Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grandpa Hendricks


So as many of you have probably read on my cousin's blogs, My grandpa Hendricks passed away quietly in his sleep on Thursday morning. When my mom called to tell me, I automatically asked, "What happened?" expecting a response that involved a horse running wild or something like that. I guess that our Heavenly Father decided that he better take Grandpa while he can, or Grandpa would somehow get out of it again. Since many of my cousins blogs talk all about Grandpa the awesome cowboy, I have decided to share my last memory of Grandpa Hendricks.
As you can tell, this picture of Grandpa has already been posted before in my blog, but it happens to be my very special last memory of him. Shawn, the kids and I, and my parents were fortunate enough to share a very fun afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa Hendricks while enjoying San Francisco Pier. We decided on the way home from the family reunion to stop and have lunch at the pier. We of course saw the sea lions and then all shared some soft pretzels while watching a comedy magician act at pier 39. Grandpa got a big kick out of them. After that we did some shopping and sat down for a great lunch of pizza for the kids and I and Seafood for the rest. It was wonderful to have Grandpa and Grandma all to ourselves. We shared a sweet moment when a homeless lady asked for Shawn's soda can and when Shawn gave her that as well as a Five dollar bill, My Grandpa turned to me and emotionally said, "You married a good man Kath-ern." I will always remember that moment as one of the best with my grandparents. I will miss my grandpa a lot but I know that he is needed on the other side. I feel fortunate to have had him as a Grandfather and I plan to work hard so I will see him again some day. As he wrote to us grandchildren in a letter a few years ago, I know he will be waiting for us. I love you Grandpa Hendricks!!!

3 comments:

Jenna Johnson said...

I'm so glad you got that last time with Grandpa! I was so blessed to grow up by him, but I didn't take advantage enough,,,you realize once it's too late! Thanks for the post! Also I would love to do lunch! I've realized this last week family is just so important and I want to keep you all close!!

Jen & Kevin Burrell said...

Carolyn called me last week about your Grandpa. So sorry to hear about his passing. I'm glad is was peaceful & not an accident. I've lost one grandma and i'm not looking forward to loosing the others. It is hard even when we know they are in a better place doing important things. I remember all the stories you've told us about how tough he was training horses and working on the farm.

Brittney said...

What a neat experience. I have been going over and over in my mind about how wrong it was for him to pass the day that we were going to see him. I wish I had taken more advantage of the time with him while he was here.

On a different note, that picture of grandpa is hilarious. I have NEVER seen him in anything but cowboy boots. Those birks just seem so out of place on him :)